Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Empowering

Today was a good reprieve from Seussical rehearsals...
All of Year 3 & 4 went to 'Empowering' it is a one day Christian Conference for Year 3 & 4 kids. A bunch of the local (local as in within 2 hours drive) Christian Schools get together for a day of worship and learning about God.
Despite there not being a jumping castle this year, it was a real good day!
This year's guest speakers were Natalie Miller the ventriloquist & Colin Buchanan the kids performer who used to be on Play School back when I was small. Natalie was amazing. Not only her skills in speaking with her mouth closed (seriously! how do people do that so well... I had to remind myself several times that the puppet wasn't real), but I was so impressed with her skills at knowing exactly what topics would get 8-10 year olds laughing.

Our kids took a little longer to warm to Colin. It seems that all the other school use his songs at school, so they were singing along right from the start. But once there was confetti falling from the roof & giant beach balls flying around there was no stopping the fun!
My favourite Colin moment was when he held a competition between kids who knew a specific song of his and kids who didn't. "Ok, kids who don't know this song, you go first" (they lost)

When there was an altar call it gave me goosebumps to see 80% of the kids go forward. But more than that I loved watching the undecided kids. The ones who were actually really thinking about what it meant to be a Christian, who weren't thinking about whether their peers were out the front or in their seats, but were wrestling with their own hearts and minds. Wow!

Side note: I also figured out today which child I won't be sitting next to on our next super long bus trip! B seriously talked at me for 55 minutes without stopping (even when I was talking to someone else) until I showed her how to play sudoku on my phone (that gave me about 4 minutes of silence).

Back to Seussical rehearsals tomorrow. eek, not long now!

No comments: