Friday, August 20, 2010

Underpants and parades

Today we celebrated book week.
We love dress up days at school! This year it was a good old fashioned 'come as your favourite book character' (which we have actually never had in the 7 years I have been teaching). The kids looked amazing! My absolute favourite costume was a 'Captain Underpants'. (this is captain underpants incase you are unfamiliar with the literary heroes of 7-10 year olds...)
So, one of my boys came in a skin colour body suit with a MASSIVE pair of undies and a red cape. It was fantastic! I also had 3 lions, 2 Jessies (from Toy Story 2 & 3), Harry Potter, someone from Twilight, various fairies, princesses, Bart Simpson & fairy tale characters. One of my boys, who doesn't like change, came as "myself in casual clothes". He had even written a book titled "xxx in Cashl Close" just to make sure he was covered incase we questioned the authenticity of his book week character.

I came as Queen Susan from Narnia. Mostly because my sister already had the dress.  It was pretty fun to wear a velvet dress to school, but it was so painful trying to navigate around kids and their costumes with a crazy full-skirt with a train, and sleeves that went past my knees. (I don't have a growth coming out of the top of my head in this photo, there was a person behind me).
Just wish I had more queenly graciousness to go with my cute outfit today. It was one of those days where my human-ness was showing real bad. It didn't help that the kids were super hyper, but I still could've been more lovely. hmm.

Our day consisted of a class 'book quiz' which my kids were real good at. Then we had our Junior School parade. Somehow we managed to string this out for 50 minutes, including a 'teacher parade' at the end.
I love the Junior School team I work with!
 After recess my class had a bridge building competition with paper and straws. Then we ended the day with the 'Schuman the Shoeman production'. It was a fabulous book week day and I'm looking forward to our next big event - Maths day!

In other news
- I had the yummiest beef tonight with a fun friend! Yay for being spontaneity-ous!
- I just found half a bag of tortillas in my handbag
- Tomorrow I'm working on the elections with my lovely mum
- My t-box still hasn't come
- Snapfish is having 9c prints this weekend. Time to fill my photo album!

- Also it's time I went to bed! Night!

No comments: