Friday, August 13, 2010

The early night that went wrong

Last night I decided to go to bed early rather than going to the gym.... if only fitness had won out (but it rarely does)! So by 8:30 I was tucked up in bed about to start reading Velvet Elvis when my phone rang. This in itself is a rare thing as generally the only people who call me are my mum, a friend from work and the spastic centre when it's time for me to make another donation. Anyway this phone call was none of those people....


It started normally enough ( I will colour-code the words so you know who is who... I am the pink) Hello, Kaye speaking." "Hi this is xxxxx." "Um...hi" Long pause (this is the bit where it starts becoming un-normal) "Do you know what this is about?" "No" "Your Grandpa introduced you to me at church" (ok must be a wrong number, I haven't been to my grandparent's church in about 5 years) "um...?" "You should speak to your Grandpa and he will tell you what this is about." "okay...."  "Your Grandpa is xxxxxxx." "yes..." (uh oh, right number?... internal panic) "I'm sorry if I scared you, talk to your Grandpa and I will call you later ok?" "ok...bye."  (it was a bit longer than that with a few more awkward pauses, but that's the main gist of the conversation)

What just happened? I instantly rang my mum, who rang my grandparents. And yes my grandpa was trying to set me up with a 50ish year old indian man who had never married and was looking for a wife. Arrrgh! How are you meant to sleep after a phone call like that one? A million thoughts went through my head: What!? Do I look that desperate that my grandpa needs to help my love life along? I guess it was a sweet thought?! How do I not hurt this random guy? How do I not hurt my Grandpa? What's wrong with me? Maybe he is a nice guy? Is being single not good enough? Am I letting my family down by being 28 and still single? Arrrgh!


So my stomach felt ill and my early night was ruined (until I read Isaiah 13... sort of put my troubles into perspective).


Tonight my Pa had left a message on my answering machine, it was sort of an apology, but did include the line "I just thought you could use some experience in talking with men." hmm my Pa is cute, and probably right, but I'm still not heaps keen on him being my match-maker.

No comments: