Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Numbers and such

Today was Maths Day!
To celebrate National Literacy & Numeracy week (I hope you have been celebrating this too) we had a whole day of measuring, patterning, data collecting, counting & dividing - in the form of running, dancing, playing, building, drawing...and watching the traffic (who would've know that 107 cars drove past our school between 12:20 and 12:30 today if it was for our data collecting kids?!). It was a really good day!

It was also really sunny. I am really burnt.

Maths day was one of my jobs for the year. I love planning and logistics and maths and forms, so this worked really well for me. It was really interesting seeing how the things I planned played out in real life through my amazing colleagues, they adapted & put their own flair on things and came up with some incredible results! I work with really fabulous people.

We also had a Maths Information Night for the parents tonight. About 30 parents showed up to learn about addition and subtraction. I 'got to' (when you come up with ideas, it often becomes your responsibility to follow through on them) present the information on Year 3 & 4 Maths. I'm not really the 'speak in front of people' type & I had a complete mental blank when it came to the compensation strategy...hmm. But apart from that I think it went pretty well (though that compensation strategy is going to haunt me forever now... I'll probably dream about not being able to subtract 35 from 49...Arrrgh!).

So it's been a 13 hour Maths lesson today (don't you wish you had one of those everyday?). Time for bed.

Oh in other news... Telstra said my t-box hadn't been sent (oops) and it's definitely on its way now...  and yes this is the 3rd time they've said that... in the past 4 weeks. Ahh good times.

Also my house needs a good clean... hmm 'good' probably isn't a strong enough word here.

Also it's only 9 days until school camp! woo hoo!

No comments: