Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Rant about Visas

Visas.
Visas are not fun.

This weekend, between painting, meeting the cutest new baby, celebrating my dad, threading, leading kids' church and washing my clothes (eeek still need to hang them out), I have been researching visas for my year in Canada.

I found out earlier this week that America is trickier than I thought it was. Because i'm just passing through I thought I could just use a Visa Waiver (RRP $14). But nope! Even if I spend 1 day in the US, because I am staying in Canada for over 90 days I need to get a proper US Visa, complete with official interview in Sydney etc (RRP $175 plus trip to Sydney etc). Oh America you are funny. The funnest bit is that I can download, to help me, a guide to filling in the visa application for only $48! Baargain!

I also need to get a Canadian visa which is roughly the same price (but I am going to live there for a year, so I don't mind so much)... but with it I need to include a police check. of course. I just had one of these done for my Nanny application, but I can't reuse that one because they wanted a NSW Police check, but Canada wants a National check. uh huh... (at least the federal one is cheaper!)

There endeth the rant.

3 months and 9 days to go. Not long nowwwww!

Also, I realised yesterday that I don't get to see Autumn again until next September. Weird!

2 comments:

cassandra said...

Oh no, no autumn, what will u do? I know, enjoy 2 springs & 1 and a bit summers!! :)

cassandra said...

Ps. I read that first line wrong & had to re-read it. I thought u said 'making a super cute baby' hehe, oops!