Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Hairdresser Appointment

So...
Today I got back from 24 hours straight with our Year 3s and 4s. We had an overnight excursion to Taronga Zoo. Sooooo much fun! But ever so exhausting!

I was in that place of sleep-deprivedness (ok so I am super exaggerating about the lack of sleep I had, I just don't cope well without my 8 hours) where negativity was filling my head... tiredness, loneliness, jealousy, rejection, self-loathing. These things love it when I'm tired, and I was so fragile that I was almost in tears over super insignificant things. When I got home at 3.30 I could have gone straight to bed, but I had an appointment at 4.30 to get my hair done. And I don't cancel appointments (most of the time).

Well, my hairdresser is amazing. I'm so glad I went. She has this way of drawing out the best in people, not only by cutting and colouring hair to suit the features of each client, but also in talking about life. She is not like those gossipy hairdressers I have been to before, she's upbeat and can find the good in everyone and everything.

We spent 3 and half hours talking and sharing pictures about Canada and Vietnam and orphans and work and art. I love the way that she is so enthusiastic about things, she has the biggest heart and through conversation with her I found myself talking about the amazing stories of inspiration, hope and joy from the last two days, rather than the negative things I was pondering on earlier in the afternoon. She didn't belittle anything that anyone said and constantly wanted to hear more of our heart, our dreams and our work, speaking life into the things we spoke of. Wow! It amazes me, the difference in my attitude before and after that appointment.

I want to be one of those people, that draws out the best in people, that helps them find the joy within them. the "seasoned with salt" people. I used to think salt was the flavour... that as Christians we were meant to add the flavour to the world. But salt's job is to draw out the flavour of others:


Besides contributing its own basic "salty" taste, salt has many benefits . It brings out natural flavors and makes foods acceptable, protects food safety by retarding the growth of spoilage microorganisms

I think maybe this is what the Colossians 4:6 verse was talking about:
"Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person." That in conversation we should draw out the positives, the flavour of the other person. Oh I want to be like that!!!!

It was a great evening, one of those God moments!

Oh and I also got cute new hair :-)



1 comment:

Mindy said...

good thoughts! I don't know if I've ever thought of that. Not only do I want to pour goodness into people but also be a means to extract goodness. I like it!!

(Yay for fun new haircuts...are you going to show the blog world?)