Tuesday, September 14, 2010

fundraisers

Last Saturday was fundraiser day in my world. I spent the day at our church's soccer gala day, it was to raise money for cancer research in memory of a man who used to help out with our soccer team. I forgot how much I love playing soccer, since I haven't played this year. It was a fantastic day, there was easily 200 people there (and only one serious injury requiring surgery - our pastor broke his leg!).

Saturday night was the annual fundraiser night for KSLC (King Solomon Learning Centre). This is my school's sister school in Manila, The Philippines. The school was started for the kids in the slum area & now has over 500 kids, who come to school in shifts because there is not enough room to accommodate them all.  One of my friends and her family lived over there for a year in 2008 (& I spent 2 weeks there with them - so amazing). It's her church that hosts the annual fundraiser. 

The purpose of this year's fundraiser was to raise money for the 2nd school they are wanting to start right near the garbage dump. Sounds a bit crazy... but I've been there. There is a village literally built on the side of the dump. It stinks. The kids there are so sick & don't know what it's like to breathe fresh air and drink water that is not contaminated. The aim of the new school is to get the kids out of the dump each day, take them to a nearby town & feed, get them medicine & vitamins, & educate them (as education is the only way out of the poverty cycle).

The fundraiser was really well done! (they always are!) and they raised almost $15,000! Throughout the night many photos & videos were shown to make it more real (or remind our stupid forgetful brains). The images of the beautiful kids broke my heart. But the thing that challenged me was the most was when Cherie spoke of the kids from the slums (at the original school) who constantly brought in their money to school to support the kids from the dump and buy them vitamins. These kids are living in absolute poverty, but are so aware of people who are not as well off as they are. Wow! It's like the widow's coins...
1 As Jesus looked up, he saw rich people putting their gifts into the temple offering boxes. 2 He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins.
 3 "What I'm about to tell you is true," Jesus said. "That poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4 All of those other people gave a lot because they are rich. But even though she is poor, she put in everything. She had nothing left to live on."- Luke 21:1-5
Though... do we (who are rich) give a lot because we are rich? I think often/always I am guilty of not only not (not only not...hmm good use of words) giving 'everything', but not even giving 'a lot'!

I tried to communicate this sentiment to my class this afternoon. We had a great discussion about poverty and looked at the "world as a village" website. My kids were really somber when they realised they were in the 8% of the world's richest, the 20% who had houses, the 33% who could read, the 7% who had internet (I think this one shocked some of them the most). Most of them really seemed to take this on-board & started discussing ways they could help others less fortunate than themselves (apart from one little girl, who just said "well that's why I save my money so I don't end up poor like them!" hmm kinda missed the point.). But of course, whenever you get kids into that amazing state of thinking about someone other than themselves, there is an interruption.

Today's interruption came in the form of an advertisement for our College Fair (which is this Saturday). Where the children were encouraged to spend up big on the entertainment, showbags & rides that will be there. hmm. Thus ended the lesson...& the selfless thinking...

Anyway, I was challenged. As I sit here on my laptop, watching TV on my T-box (which finally came last week - 6 weeks telstra! 6 weeks!)... I'm pondering how can I simplify my life to help others. Thinking about going without is hard, but what's going to matter in the end? Whether I lived comfortably or whether I helped others to live? hmm I could easily push this to the back of my mind and not let it affect me, but I think I need it to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read that verse about the widow myself today - love Godincidences ;-))))
Oh, and what about not just bein super-challenged by the monetary hurdle of 'giving all that's in our wallet"... But what bout praying " God, help me live like this widow, who everyday, gave BEYOND her everything" so challenged and inspired by ur writing Kaye. Make a BOOK!!!!